Business Licenses

The Department of Resource Management (707-784-6765) issues business licenses for businesses located in the unincorporated area of Solano County. (If your business is located within the city limits of one of the cities in Solano County you must contact that city for your business license.)  See map below to view city boundary lines.

Before a business license application can be accepted the applicant must check the zoning of the business site to see if it allows for the proposed use. You can call the Planning Services Division at 707-784-6765 and speak with the Planner on Duty. The Zoning Clearance form can be found here

To check the zoning on a parcel, visit our GIS page here. You will need to make sure the Zoning layer is turned on.  To do so, click the 'I want to...' button, then click on 'Change visible map layers' and then check the Zoning box.  After that, search for an address or APN in the upper right-hand corner of the page.  If located in unincorporated Solano County, the zoning information will be listed. If the detail box says 'GP Land Use Code: Incorporated Area, then that site is located within city limits and you will need to contact your city for business licensing.

The Zoning Ordinance allows some small businesses to operate out of single family residences, provided several conditions can be satisfied relating to client visits, on-site sales, signage, and storage. In this case you will need to fill out a Home Occupation Questionnaire as part of the business license application process which will be reviewed by Planning staff to determine compliance with zoning requirements.