Cottage Food Operations (CFO)
A cottage food operation or CFO is a limited home based food business where residents are able to prepare and sell specific low risk foods from their home kitchens directly and indirectly to the public. Each year, all CFOs are required to submit the Cottage Food Operation Renewal Application and annual registration or permit fee.

Direct Sales (Class A): A new Class A CFO is required to submit the Cottage Food Operation Application, Class A Self Certification Checklist, Food Product Description, and annual registration fee.

Direct/Indirect Sales (Class B):
A new Class B CFO is required to submit the Cottage Food Operation Application, Food Product Description, and annual permit fee.

If you are a veteran, submit the
Veteran's Fee Exemption Application and your annual operating fee will be waived.


 Useful Resources

Cottage Food Operation Application
Cottage Food Operation Renewal Application
Veteran's Fee Exemption Application
Cottage Food Labeling Requirements
Class A vs. Class B Flowchart 
Frequently Asked Questions 
CA Dept. of Public Health CFO webpage       

Food Safety Certification 
All food handlers shall obtain a food handler card within 30 days after the date of hire and maintain a valid card for the duration of their employment. Use the Food Handler & Manager Information to find out how to fulfill this requirement.

 Applications and fees shall be submitted to the following department: 

Department of Resource Management
Environmental Health Division
675 Texas Street, Suite 5500
Fairfield, CA 94533
(707) 784-6765   Fax (707) 784-4805

Incomplete applications will not be accepted for review. Application review may take up to 20 business days. Online Payments may be submitted; an invoice or permit number is not required to complete payments. To make an appointment, please call the main office at (707) 784-6765 or visit this link here.