Rent Relief

Need help with unpaid rent?
The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program provides financial assistance for unpaid rent to eligible renters and landlords who have been impacted by COVID-19.
Both renters and landlords can apply for assistance.

Apply now to determine which program is right for you. For assistance, call 833-430-2122.

  • The Rent Relief Program pays eligible tenants and landlords 100% of a tenant’s past-due rent and utilities going as far back as April 1, 2020.
  • Having your overdue rent paid by the Rent Relief Program can protect you from eviction and debt collection lawsuits.
  • The program is free and does not currently have a deadline, but because funding may be limited, renters are encouraged to apply as soon as possible if they know they may struggle to cover past or prospective rent and utilities.

Beginning October 1, 2021, your landlord must apply for rental assistance before they can try to evict you through the courts for failing to pay your rent.

  • Although your landlord may give you a notice to “pay or quit” (which is a notice from your landlord that gives you a certain amount of time to pay the outstanding rent you owe or vacate your home) at any time, they will not be able to legally evict you without first applying to the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program.
  • If you receive a notice to “pay or quit,” it is strongly recommended that you immediately get legal assistance to determine and protect your rights. If your notice to “pay or quit” includes a “Declaration of COVID-19 related financial distress”—and you have been financially impacted by the pandemic—you should sign and return the declaration to your landlord within 15 business days to bolster your protections.

It is very important that you apply for rental assistance within 15 business days of receiving a “pay or quit” notice, or within 15 business days of receiving a notice from the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program that your landlord has started an application on your behalf.

If you believe you have been unlawfully evicted or if you need legal advice, you should consult with an attorney. If you need low- or no-cost legal help, visit and/or contact the following for more assistance:

Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California

Serving Marin, Solano, and Sonoma Counties
1314 Lincoln Ave. Suite A
San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 457-5025 Toll-free (877) 285-2935
Fax (415) 457.6382

Legal Services of Northern California
1810 Capitol Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
(707) 643-0054
Fax (707) 643-0144
Email: [email protected]