How do I file a complaint against a company or individual?

We have a Consumer Complaint Form available on our website. Although we are happy to explain the complaint process to you on the phone, we normally do not accept telephonic complaints themselves.     If you are unable to download our complaint form from this website, you may call us at (707) 784-6859 and request a form be mailed to you.


Does it cost anything to file a complaint form?



Can you provide me with legal advice?

No. By law, the District Attorney's Office cannot answer legal questions or offer legal advice (California Business & Professions Code section 6131). You may wish to contact the Small Claims Court legal advisor at (707) 422-7433.


Can the District Attorney's Office represent me in an action against someone who has defrauded me?

No. We are unable to represent private citizens seeking the return of their money or other personal remedies. Instead, we pursue both criminal and civil law enforcement actions in the name of the People of California.


What should I do if I am a victim of a company’s unlawful/unfair/fraudulent business practices or deceptive/untrue/misleading advertising?

You should contact your local law enforcement agency to report a crime or contact the appropriate regulatory agency.  Find the right agency on our Consumer Resource Guide that may help you with your situation. Generally, the appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agency investigates crimes and/or complaints and then presents a case to the Office of the District Attorney for filing.

After contacting the appropriate agency, you may also file a complaint with the CECU. Complete a and mail your original signed form to our office. You may also call our office and we will send you the form: (707) 784-6859.

Complaints of false advertising, deceptive business practices, and unfair competition will generally be reviewed by the CECU to determine if government action is appropriate.  However, because of the large number of such complaints, action can only be taken when the harm from these practices is great and involves a large number of consumers or businesses. In cases where these criteria are not met, we often keep the complaint as part of our information files.  If the problem warrants action in the future, the complaint will form part of the basis for that action.


 I am thinking of remodeling my home and a neighbor recommended a contractor. How do I find out more information about this person and his or her company?

Contractors are licensed through the Contractor’s State Licensing Board (CSLB). Consult the CSLB for information on license status and other helpful tips before hiring a contractor.


Can I check on the license status of other professionals as well?

Yes. Many professionals like doctors, chiropractors, veterinarians, auto mechanics, etc., must be licensed with the State of California. Most license verifications can be conducted online via the
Department of Consumer Affairs
website. The Better Business Bureau may give you information about businesses in your area.


Someone is using my identity. What should I do?

If you are the victim of an identity theft, you should contact your local law enforcement agency as soon as possible to make a police report. The report or report number is often necessary in reporting losses to banks and credit card companies. Call and report the identity theft to the three major credit bureaus. It is important to make this call at once. It is an important step in shutting down the person using your identity. The credit bureau will contact you for six months after the fraud report, anytime someone tries to obtain credit in your name. These credit bureaus can assist you in identifying if credit lines have been applied for or opened in your name. Any information you receive from these reporting bureaus should be passed on to the police agency who took the police report. When you receive monthly bank or credit card statements and find unauthorized transactions, these should also be reported to the law enforcement agency handling the identity theft. It is possible that information from these companies can be helpful in the investigation.

 The contact information for each of the major credit reporting agencies is as follows:

P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
(800) 997-2493

 Experian Information Systems
P.O. Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949
(800) 397-3742

P.O. Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390
(800) 916-8800


I would like to make a complaint against my private attorney. Whom should I contact?

You should contact the California State Bar.


 I have seen someone dumping questionable materials into a storm drain. Is that something I should report?

Yes. Report this to the Department of Fish and Game Cal-TIP at (888) 334-2258, in addition to the Solano County Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765. See Environmental Tips & Info.


 I am a senior citizen of Solano County. My grandson lives in my house and does not pay rent. He takes drugs and I am afraid of him. I’d like him to move out, but what can I do?

Call Legal Assistance for Seniors (Ombudsman Services) at (800) 222-1753 or Solano County Adult Protective Services (APS) at (707) 784-8259. These agencies may be able to provide advice and assistance in getting court orders to make your grandson leave your home.


My 80-year-old father gets confused easily and keeps giving money to his new caregiver. Later, he can’t explain why. The caregiver also refuses to let our family see him or talk to him. What can I do to protect him?

This may be a case of elder financial abuse. Also, the caregiver may be engaging in a form of psychological abuse by isolating your father. Contact Solano County Adult Protective Services (APS) at (707) 784-8259. Your call is confidential. A social worker will do an investigation and may be able to offer services.

 More FAQs from Department of Consumer Affairs