| || |
|How Bad Is The Problem?|
|Online child pornography/child exploitation is the most significant crime problem confronting the FBI that involves crimes against children. |
According to the FBI, children are reported missing at the rate of:
- 825,600 per year
- 68,800 per month
- more than 2,000 per day
- three every two minutes
|How Vulnerable Are Our Children? |
|Nationally, over 45 million children ages 10-17 use the Internet. Of these: |
- One in four has encountered unwanted pornography.
- One in five has been sexually solicited.
- One in 17 was threatened or harassed in the past year.
- One in 33 received an aggressive sexual solicitation (were asked to meet someone in person, called on the phone, and/or sent correspondence or gifts) in the past year.
- Nearly 60 percent have received an e-mail or Instant Message from a stranger, and half of these children have responded to the stranger's message.