January – Family FitnessJanuary is Family Fit Lifestyle month! Does your family get enough exercise or are afternoons and evenings usually spent in front of the TV? Parents are their child’s first teachers and can set examples of healthy living. There are tons of things you can do to make physical fitness part of your family’s daily routine.
- Take a walk after dinner instead of watching TV.
- When out, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Try counting the steps up to the top!
- Walk or bike with your children to school or a friend's house.
- When running errands, park further from the store.
- Play indoor games such as Simon Says or Red Light, Green Light if it's too cold or rainy outside.
- Make cleaning up a game - first person to pick up 10 toys wins!
Engaging in activities both indoors and outdoors is a great way to spend time with the whole family while promoting a healthy lifestyle! Be the example. If your kids see you doing more physical activity, they will want to move more too!
10 Ways to Exercise as a Family
18 Get Off the Couch Games