Human Resources - Employment Opportunites

Where is your office located?

The Department of Human Resources’ Office is located at 675 Texas Street, Suite 1800, Fairfield, CA 94533.

What is the best way to submit required documents?

The best way to submit documents is to upload them and to submit them with your employment application. If you are unable to do so, you can submit by email, fax, mail, or hand-deliver the documents. Just make sure to submit the documents by the filing deadline date or by the deadline date indicated on the job announcement.

I am trying to attach my documents to my application, but its not working. How do I submit them?

You may fax your documents to (707) 784-3424, email them to or mail them to Human Resources, 675 Texas Street, Suite 1800, Fairfield, CA 94533. You may also hand deliver them. Please use the document coversheet. Please review the job announcement for the deadline to submit documents.

Note: You cannot attach any documents after you have already submitted your employment application. It is recommended that you attach your documents separately (e.g., DD2214, resume, college transcript).

What is the fax number to submit documentation?

The Recruitment fax number is (707) 784-3424. When faxing your document, please make sure that you indicate the recruitment name and the recruitment number. Otherwise, no action will be taken.

Where is the fax cover sheet?

You can find the documentation cover sheet in PDF form at Please ensure that your internet settings allow pop-ups from our website in order to print/download our cover sheet. Our recruitment fax number is (707) 784-3424. When hand-delivering your documents and you do not have a cover sheet, please ask for the form and one will be provided to you.

Did you get my fax?

It is always best to attach your documents at the time you are submitting your application. If you were unable to do so, and submitted a fax, please keep a copy of your fax confirmation for your records. Due to the high number of applications, we are unable to check individual receipt of faxed documents.

Where can I find out about job openings?

Please visit our website at for a list of current recruitments. A summary of current recruitments is also available in our office, located at 675 Texas Street, Suite 1800, Fairfield, CA.

What is an ‘open and continuous’/ ‘open until filled’ position?

This means that the recruitment is ongoing until the position has been filled.

What’s the difference between an “open competitive” recruitment and a “Departmental or Countywide promotional” recruitment?

All qualified applicants are welcome to apply for an “open competitive” recruitment. Departmental or Countywide recruitments are only open to current County employees. You are encouraged to review the job announcement to see if the recruitment is restricted to current County employees.

The job I am interested in isn’t open. How can I find out when the job will be available?

On our website, you have the ability to request to be notified via email or text when specific recruitments are opened. Click on the link labeled Notify Me of New Jobs and follow the instructions. If a recruitment opens within 12 months of your interest submittal, you will be sent notification (e.g., email or text) informing you that there is a job posting and inviting you to apply for the position.

I don't have a computer. Where can I find a computer to complete my application?

You are welcome to use any of the public access computers at your local library. We also have computers available in our lobby for County job applications. Our office is located at 675 Texas Street, Suite 1800, Fairfield, CA 94533. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., except on County designated holidays.

How do I apply for a job?
Online applications are available at Just click on the position you are interested in and follow the link to the online job application. When applying, be sure to completely review the job announcement, which identifies key information about the recruitment, including the minimum requirements (e.g., experience, education, certification) required for the position, filing deadlines, required documents, examination dates and more!

Can I submit a hard copy or paper application?

Applications must be submitted through the JobAps system. Paper copies of applications are not accepted.

What if I dont have an email?

There are many email service providers, including free accounts. Listed below are some that you may be familiar with.

Email Service


How to Sign Up

Google Gmail

Click on “Create an account”

Microsoft Outlook

Click on “Sign up now”

Yahoo Mail

Click on “Mail,” then click on “Create Account”


Click on “Get a Free Username”

Once you have an email address, you are ready to create a Solano County JobAps account and apply for current job openings.

What is the status of my application?

You can check the status of your application anytime by logging on to your JobAps account. You can also view any notices sent to you on your JobAps account.

Can you check my application to make sure it’s alright?

Unfortunately, we are unable to check applications for accuracy or completeness. Please refer to the specific job announcement for application, job and supporting documentation requirements and check your application carefully before submitting it. It is important to clearly state your job experience and completed education that qualifies for the job and to submit all required documentation as stated in the job announcement.

Where do I get a typing certificate or Microsoft Word/Excel certificate?

Many temporary staffing agencies will administer the exam and issue a certificate. We recommend that you bring a copy of the job announcement with you to the temporary staffing agency to ensure that they are issuing the correct certificate. Please note that we do not accept certificates issued from an online (internet) source.

What are the requirements for a typing or other Microsoft Word/Excel certificate?

The certificate must be signed by the agency administering the exam. The certificate must not be more than 12 months old at time of application. We do not accept certificates issued from an online source. Any versions of Microsoft Word or Excel are acceptable, but please refer to the job announcement for the minimum skill level required.

I just applied for another position. Can you use the documentation from my first application?

Each recruitment is processed separately, so please follow the document submittal guidelines for each application. Unfortunately, we are unable to transfer documents between job applications.

Do I need to submit a DD214?

You only need to submit a DD214 if you are applying for a Civil Service position and you have served in the military and wish to claim Veterans' Preference Points. To be eligible, applicants must have served at least 181 consecutive days of active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received either an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions. A copy of the DD214, showing discharge type, must be received in the Human Resources Department by the final filing date.

Veteran applicants applying for initial County employment in a Civil Service position with an honorable or general discharge under honorable conditions shall have five (5) points added to their combined score. Disabled veterans (rated at not less than 30% disability) shall have ten (10) points added to their combined score. Veteran preference points will only be added to passing scores in competitive open examinations.

How can I get my user name and/or password?

If you don't know your User ID, please visit:
If you forgot your password, please visit:

If you are unsuccessful in retrieving your UserID or password using the links provided, call the Human Resources Department at (707) 784-6170 during the Department of Human Resources’ business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., except during County designated holiday), and we will be happy to assist you.

My email address changed. What do I do?
Please email or please go to the Department of Human Resources’ Office, and you will be asked to fill out a Change of Email Address form. Please plan accordingly when placing this request. It may up to two (2) working days from the date of request to complete this request.

I moved. How do I update my address on my job applications?

On our website,, please click on the link labeled "update my contact info" and follow the on-screen instructions. You will need the user name and password you created at the time you applied.

Who do I call about a problem with JobAps?

Please contact the Department of Human Resources’ Office at (707) 784-6170, and we will try to assist you.

Are practice exams available for this recruitment?
Solano County cannot recommend any specific study materials for our exams. There are general, non-specific civil service practice tests offered online at the Solano and Napa County online Learning Express Hub:

Alternative: Solano County Library offers access to the Learning Express Hub, which offers online general civil service practice tests and e-books to help you prepare.

Please review the job announcement or class specification for knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for the position for which you are applying. This will assist you in identifying possible topics to be covered during an examination.

How do I prepare for an Oral Board Exam?

We have a guide available on our website. You can access the guide here,

I received a disqualification notice that stated I did not meet the minimum qualifications. Can I appeal this disqualification?

You may only appeal the disqualifications for Civil Services positions. Disqualification appeals must be received within five (5) calendar days from the date of the disqualification notice. Your written appeal may be submitted in person at Human Resources at 675 Texas Street, Suite 1800, Fairfield, CA 94533 or by fax at (707)784-3424, or via e-mail at

What must I include in my appeal?

Include the recruitment title and recruitment number, the reason for your appeal, any documents required for the recruitment that were not submitted prior to the final filing deadline date, and/or clarification of the experience listed on your application.

I failed the exam, what was my score? Can you tell me what areas I need to work on?

Unfortunately, we are unable to disclose non-passing exam scores or provide feedback on exam performance.

I have a disability. How can I get an accommodation during the exam process?

When requesting an accommodation, it is important to submit your request as soon as possible to provide sufficient notice so we can properly arrange for the requested accommodation. Complete a "Request for Testing Accommodation by Applicants with Disabilities" Form, and submit the form prior to the final filing date, or, for open and continuous recruitments, five (5) calendar days from the submittal of your application. The form is available online at Request Form for Testing Accommodation, or in hard copy in the Human Resources Department. You will be contacted to discuss your request.

If you are invited to participate in a hiring interview and you need an accommodation, you MUST submit another request to the Department of Human Resources by the response deadline date provided by the hiring department. Human Resources will evaluate the request, as the testing process and interview processes can vary. Use the same request form, “Request for Testing Accommodation by Applicants with Disabilities.”

How can I keep up to date on openings, learn valuable job tips, and explore careers I may have never considered?
“Like” or “follow” for our information regarding our latest job openings, helpful employment or interviewing tips every Tuesday, and learn about County careers that you may not have ever considered!

Good luck and Thank You for considering Solano County!