| || |
CDC confirms additional case of COVID-19 in Solano County due to travel-associated exposure
February 28, 2020
SOLANO COUNTY – Solano Public Health officials received confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that a Solano County resident has tested positive due to travel-associated exposure to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) as part of their COVID-19 Cases among Persons Repatriated to the United States statistics. The individual was a Travis Air Force Base evacuee and passenger of the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Another County resident and Travis Air Force Base evacuee also tested positive by Japanese testing; this case is pending confirmation from CDC.
Both individuals were transferred from federal to local authority and will remain in mandatory home-isolation until cleared by Solano Public Health officials. Solano Public Health is monitoring the situation closely and will provide updates as the situation evolves.
While the immediate risk of COVID-19 is low, these are simple daily precautions that everyone should always take, such as:
- Washing your hands with soap and water, and rubbing for at least 20 seconds
- Coughing or sneezing into a tissue, sleeve or arm (not your hands)
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when you are sick
- Avoiding touching your face, particularly your eyes, nose and mouth
- Performing routine surface cleaning, particularly for items which are frequently touched such as doorknobs, handles, remotes, keyboards and other commonly shared surfaces
- Getting a flu shot to protect against the flu, which has similar symptoms to COVID-19
If you have recently returned from a country with ongoing COVID-19 infections, monitor your health and call your health care provider first before going to the medical facility if you develop fever and other sign/symptoms of a lower respiratory illness, such as cough or shortness of breath.
For more information about this rapidly evolving situation, visit cdc.gov/COVID19. For local updates, visit www.solanocounty.com/publichealth
or the Solano Public Health Facebook page, @SolanoCountyPH
For information about influenza activity and surveillance in California, visit the CDPH website at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/Flu-Reports.aspx